November 17 - 18 | Los Angeles, CA
WORLD FUNDING SUMMIT PROGRAM*
November 17 & 18, 2017
*Subject to change
7:30 – 8:45 am
Opening remarks by hosts
Welcoming delegates and acknowledging sponsors and partners while setting out the mission of the summit: shaping the future of finance together to find how we can eliminate inequality in access to capital and incentivize the most impactful ventures.
SPECIAL LIVE OPERA PERFORMANCE BY DANIELA PODOBEA & ASHLEY FAATOALIA
9:00 – 10:00 amAndrew Kyzyk Vice President & Head of Advisor Relations at OTC Markets GroupIrena Chaushevska Head Organizer of "NASA Space Apps Challenge" in Silicon Valley, Co-Founder at Next Billionaires CapitalGabrielle KatsnelsonCEO & Co-Founder at The SMBX (The Small & Medium Business Exchange)Nicolas MorganPartner @Paul Hastings
Moderator:Kim Kaselionis Managing Partner at Breakaway Funding LLC
Liquidity wanted: call for alternative venture exchanges and blockchain enabled platforms
The notoriously low liquidity of early stage companies remains one of the main obstacles for attracting experienced investors and equity crowdfunders who are understandably cautious when an IPO or a buyout is not on the horizon.
Key discussion points:
• Accessing private equity and debt via online platforms: rules, issues & top platforms
• What types of companies are best positioned to take advantage of RegA+ aka “mini-IPOs”?
• What are the novel emerging venture exchange platforms and how they are different from the OTC Markets Group, the leading and the oldest venture exchange in the U.S.?
• How cryptocurrency exchanges and tokenization of digital assets will be changing the existing financing landscape in the U.S. and internationally?
• What can we expect on the regulatory side in 2018-2020?
- 10:00 – 10:15 am
10:15 – 11:15 amDavid Koepsell PhD, CEO & Founder of Encrypgen: blockchain genomics via the Gene-ChainAlan Yong Co-Founder of DNotes, digital currency and peer-to-peer payment systemEkaterina Dorozhkina Entrepreneur & Financier, Raised $5M via ICOValentin Preobrazhenskiy Founder & CEO of LATokenWilliam FanManaging Partner @Zero-One Capital
Moderator:Adam ChapnickSerial entrepreneur/ ICO Investor.tv
ICO & Cryptocurrency Introductory Track: Here Comes the Future
It is official – the amount raised via Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) has surpassed earliest-stage venture capital so far in 2017. The current venture financing system is extremely complex and a new decentralized financial system is set to remove layers of intermediation while rewarding those new ventures which are fully capable of leveraging their network effects. Will the system mature to serve as a reliable financing tool while eliminating bad actors?
Key discussion points (debate):
• Basics: Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Token Crowdfunding, Smart Contracts, DAO, ICO
• What kind of companies/industries might think of staging ICOs?
• How to evaluate risks in investing in ICOs and cryptocurrencies and spot bad actors?
•Who is who in the new emerging industry: main players, platforms and service providers
• Legal landscape, rules in the U.S./world and what’s next
11:15 – 12:15 pmRick Smith Venture Capitalist, Co-founder and Managing Director at CrossCutKevin Zhang Venture Capitalist, Partner at Upfront VenturesDavid Lee VC, Managing partner at RefactorErin Shipley Venture Capitalist, Co-Founder & Managing Partner at The HelmGreg GilmanCo-Founder of Science Founder of Science Blockchain
Moderator:Greg Bohlen Managing General Partner at Union Grove Venture Partners
Confessions of Venture Capitalists: the truth about the venture capital model and how it might be different in the new digital era
Historically, only fewer than 1% of companies have raised capital from VCs and today non-VC sources of financing are growing rapidly. However, capital issued by a VC firm remains the most desirable and celebrated among entrepreneurs who trust the VC firm brings much more than just money to the table but also expertise and guidance.
• What kind of teams & industries are likely capable of providing the financial returns we are looking for?
• What are our typical terms and how do we collaborate or compete with other funds and investors?
• The truth about valuation, exits and should startups really worry about profitability?
• What we think about the rise of AI as well as crowdfunding, cryptocurrencies and ICOs?
• What future trends and potential disruptions we might expect in the world of venture capitalists and how we are going to adapt?
12:15 – 12:40 am
NETWORKING LUNCH BREAK
12:40 – 1:00 pmArthur Lipper World renowned financier, author, FinTech inventor, and philanthropist
Royalties as the alternative way for both investing in / financing of ventures and projects
Exclusive Presentation for World Funding Summit
• Fundamentals of royalty finance
• Equity retention versus cash flows
• Revenue share investing
• Tax implications
• Exchange traded royalties
• Complimentary tools and websites
Microfinance transforming lives: from the third world to the new world
Fireside chat interview with Rupert Scofield, micro-finance legend who grew his company from a single village bank to an organization with 10,000 employees and over 1.6 million clients across five continents
1:30 – 2:30 pmManie Eagar Chairman at Blockchain Association of Canada (BAC) (Canada)Richard Kivel Managing Director of GrayBella Capital, MIT Enterprise Forum GlobalLaurent Ruben Founder & General Manager at French Accelerator (France-US)Jouko Ahvenainen Founder and Executive Chairman @Grow VC Group Global (Finland- US)Aziz AlnassiriCEO, Founder at RiTS & Noah’s Ark.
Moderator:Barry E James Co-founder & CEO of TheCrowdfundingCenter.com & CrowdDataCenter.com (UK)
Fintech connecting the world: meet your global partners
Financial technology and blockchain have become the greatest driver for small business capital formation in a generation and are connecting the world in new ways.
Key discussion points:
• Global fundraising landscape for private equity: traditional options vs alternative
• What works best: estimated costs, marketing, and regulatory compliance
• Leading platforms, family offices and other incumbents to work with on a global scale
• Liquidity for crowdfunded ventures: world best practices and examples
• Foreseeable trends, issues and impact
2:30 – 3:30 pmPaul Scanlan Angel Investor, Emmy Winning Tech and Media Entrepreneur, Cofounder & CEO Legion M Entertainment, Inc., the world’s first fan-owned media company (raised over$3,8M on WeFunder)Josh Maher Angel Investor & Author of “Startup Wealth: How the Best Angel Investors Make Money in Startups”Michael Hughes senior director, equity crowdfunding, IndiegogoEric Bunting Early-stage investor, Founder & Managing Partner at Overbrook Capital
Moderator:Jor Law Co-founder at Homeier Law PC & VerifyInvestor.com
Finding an angel or becoming one: angel investing redefined
Angel investors and crowdfunders remain as one of the most valuable and often the only source of capital early stage companies can count on.
Key discussion points:
• Finding the angel: what are the most active angel groups, syndicates and leading platforms
• Veteran angels vs inexperienced angels aka crowdfunders: motivations, investment criteria and favorite platforms
• How does a portfolio approach apply to crowdinvesting
• Corporate angels for impact and social entrepreneurship
• Future trends and predictions
3:30 – 4:30 pm
Four sessions of TED Style Talks:
Venture Financing Redefined – War Stories and Invaluable Insights From Top Financiers and Entrepreneurs
IPO Interrupted: Liquidity Evolution and Future Paths to Success
Goldman Sachs 10,000 small businesses initiative: $500 million investment program
Obtaining foreign capital through investment visas/EB-5 programs
Film financing: how I found the winning formula
4:30 – 5:30 pmRobert Lewis Founder & President at Black Cooperative Investment Fund (BCIF)Xiaocheh Zhang President at FinTech4GoodKim Folsom Founder of LIFT Development Enterprises, Inc and Co-Founder and CEO of Founders First Capital Partners, LLCSmita Bagla Women’s Initiative Network, Southern CaliforniaErin Shipley Venture Capitalist, Co-Founder & Managing Partner at The Helm
Moderator:Delilah Panio Founder & CEO at Fortuna
Capital for Underserved Markets and Communities
Non-tech entrepreneurs with impactful businesses but no visible exit strategy, scientists with projects in need of long-term “patient” finance, and founders with a limited capital network have been experiencing recurring problems with attracting investors. Learn from those who are resolving the problem.
5:30 – 5:45 pm
Special Dance Performance by Sergio Bessonovs & Nataliya Kravets
PAUL BLANCHARD: Modern PR for Modern Founders: the Inconvenient Truth and What Really Works
DR. SAMIR DAMANI: Blockchain: Changing Health Care Through Patient Empowerment
6:00 – 7:00 pm
EXCLUSIVE COCKTAIL PARTY FOR WFS DELEGATES